All Prairie Steel bins come with the option of circular skid foundations. Circular skids are stronger, more stable and allows the bins to be easily moved. Skids can be welded on in the factory or bolted on at the job site. Number of rings used in skid construction is based on bin tonnage. Skids can be mounted on hopper bins from 300 bushels to 10,700 bushels.
The following steps should be taken before you place your hoppers with skids at the site.
Failure to heed will void the warranty.
- Remove all organic and soft soil from the site.
- Compact the exposed base to confirm there are no soft or unstable areas.
- Base soil must be good quality with good bearing capacity.
- Lay and compact a 6″ layer of granular material. Granular must be clean of organic material and no particles greater than 2″.
- Granular base must extend 3′ beyond the outside diameter of the skid ring.
- Compaction must be to 98% of Standard Proctor Density. This is equivalent to a compaction where it is difficult to drive a sharpened 2×2 wooden peg into the material.
- Hoppers should be placed so that they have a minimum of 3′ between them.
- Using the above criteria, a one ring skid could support 2200 pounds per linear foot of skid and a two ring skid could support 4000 pounds per linear foot of skid and a three ring skid could support 5300 pounds per linear foot of skid.
2 – 22” round vents come standard on 21’ and 24’ diameter grain bins. Vents are optional on smaller sizes and are recommended if drying system are used in the bin.
Aeration is an option in regular profile and low profile hopper cones. Aeration comes in 2 sizes, 18” diameter and 24” diameter.
Optional safety cages and roof hand rails can be added to any bin of any size.
5 year warranty comes standard on all Goebel products. Hopper cones come standard with a 24 month paint warranty.
Prairie Steel will deliver our products anywhere in western Canada with our own fleet of trucks and trailers. Our trucks are equipped with unloading equipment so you don’t have to worry about unloading. We will unload right on your site and then the crew will build. No moving hopper cones after the fact.